Nezir Zahirović

Ruby On Rails on Windows 10 Bash on Ubuntu on Windows Yes! It Is Possible!

Ruby On Rails on Windows 10 Bash on Ubuntu on Windows  Yes! It Is Possible!

I was wondering " Is it possible to install and run Ruby,  Ruby On Rails on Windows 10 (Linux subsystem) Ubuntu Bash " and a short answer is YES!


I even managed to install Ubuntu Desktop apps on it.

So, basically, you run Bash on Ubuntu on Windows as root and do regular installation steps for installing Rbenv, Ruby, Ruby On Rails.

1 - Step Install Rbenv and Ruby and Ruby On Rails
I used this steps: https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-install-ruby-on-rails-with-rbenv-on-ubuntu-14-04

2 -After, that you need to install "Install an X Server ". In my case, I installed Xming with default options.

3 - And the last step was to download and install the desktop version of RubyMine IDE:
I download the Linux version from RubyMine site and place on my D: drive after that I access to D: drive trough Bash " cd mnt/d " and continue to use these steps: https://makandracards.com/makandra/879-install-rubymine-under-ubuntu

Note: Before successfully installing RubyMine I had an error " java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class java.awt.Component "  which I managed to fix with "apt-get install default-jre" command.


Ruby On Rails, RubyMine on Windows 10 Bash on Ubuntu RubyOnRails.ba Ruby On Rails Bosnia Ruby Rails Tutorials Latest News
Ruby On Rails, RubyMine on Windows 10 Bash on Ubuntu


When I tried to run Terminal on RubyMine I had some java.Exception which I didn't had time to look more about.

In general Bash  on  Ubuntu on Windows,  Windows Subsystem  Linux and Ruby, Ruby On Rails combination is possible. 

SHARE
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment